7 Ways to Get the Most Out Of Your Blog
If blogging is something you indulge in regularly then it is likely you have built up a rich content over the long time you’ve been blogging. But what happens once you publish the content. Are you promoting the article and optimising it well for search engines which help in bringing traffic or have you just resorted to replacing the article with a new one. The latter is what most bloggers do which results in a drastic fall in the traffic for the replaced article.
The replaced article initially drops lower in the blog’s front page. Slowly it falls off the first page and will be overshadowed by newer and fresher content written by you.
It’s a fact that not every subscriber reads all the posts of a blog, especially previous ones. And when you consider the amount of time you put in to write those blog posts, your efforts do not get their due. There are certain things which done the right way will help you bring the best out of your blog and thereby reward your efforts.
Even if an article is old by the publishing date, it still is always new for many first time visitors. Always remember this.
Here are a few ways to lengthen the life span of your blog significantly,
- Choosing the best content: Your blog has many articles written by on various topics. Sort out the ones you think might still be worthwhile for newer readers. Once sorted, go through each article leaving out the ones that are too timely, news-making or are no longer worth reading for any reason.
- Freshen the content: Did you happen to make use of dates or other time units in an article? If so then update the post with latest examples to remove any dour parts and do not forget to include a note informing the readers about the article’s updating. The only sign of the post’s age should be the date of its publication.
- Create links to the content: Linking an article will help the reader co-relate things and understand the newer article better. So if you are writing about a topic on which you have previously written then including the link to that older post will be a great idea.
- Advertise previous content through social media: Facebook, Twitter, MySpace are great examples of using social media to promote your older content and generate traffic. It actually works.
- Highlight your best posts: Writing a small post which highlights the best of your previous articles is a worthy exercise. This post could include one line summaries and links to the most popular and quality articles by you.
- Organize content: Have you written a lot on one particular subject? If yes then you should give a thought to organizing the content in a single topic page. Readers looking for information on this particular subject will appreciate the ease in accessing the same.
- Try different things: Try out all the above ideas either alone or in a combination. Ultimately what works for you is all that matters.
Do you need help with your SEO Strategy? More info here.